IGES Integrative Strategic Research Programme for the Seventh Phase began in July 2017. Research in the Seventh Phase will focus on various issues related to sustainable development including climate change, natural resources management, resources efficiency, and the connections linking these issues. In line with strategic management and operations, IGES research aims to clarify emerging challenges currently facing Asia, as well as to develop policy research and recommendations for problem-solving.
Seventh Phase Research Structure
Contributing towards the realisation of low-carbon development in the Asia-Pacific region, through the creation of climate regime at the international, regional, country and local levels, and production of energy policy research outcomes.
- Future climate regime
- Energy Model Analysis
- Climate Finance
- Market Mechanisms
- Asia Low Carbon Strategy
Building resilient societies through the sustainable management and use of natural resources.
- Resilient Livelihoods
- Forest Conservation
- Climate Change Adaptation
- Water Resource Management
Conducting research activities to achieve sustainable consumption and production in Asian countries, and making corresponding changes in business practices and lifestyles for people’s well-being.
- Transitioning to SCP
- Sustainable Living & Consumption
- Resource Circulation & Integrated Waste Management
- Fukushima Action Research
- SCP Policy Process
Aiming to change from the current unsustainable development path onto one which improves human well-being, social equity and natural capital through green investment, creating green jobs and adopting low-carbon and resource-efficient technologies.
- Transition to Green Economy
- Green Investment and Green Jobs
- Promoting Green Business
- Policy Process & Dialogue
Considering not only environmental concerns, but also exploring ways of making substantial revisions and changes in existing socio-economic systems in the process of transitioning to sustainable societies, through the participation and empowerment of diverse stakeholders.
- Integrated Policies for Sustainable Cities
- Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
Promoting sustainable business and propelling innovation, diffusion and transfer of low-carbon technologies in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Low Carbon Technologies transfer and Application
- Regional Circular and Ecological Sphere (R-CES)
- Climate Change Adaptation & Disaster Risk Reduction
Supporting sustainable city development using low-carbon models, with cross-cutting analysis of environmental policies transmitted at the local government level.
- Smart Cities
- Eco Model Cities
- Networking Eco Model Cities
Strengthening IGES’s partnerships with key stakeholders in the region and engaging in activities to facilitate environmental policy development.
- Climate Change Adaptation
- Climate Change Mitigation
- Environmental Safeguards
- Local and City Initiatives
Conducting bilateral cooperation between Japan and China in the area of environment.
- Strategic Planning and Coordination of Overall Research Activities
- Flagship Products
- Knowledge Management
- Capacity Development
- Quality Assurance of Research Outputs
- External Funding
- Education and Learning for Sustainability